Home > Forum > For The Second Time And Another 100k

For the second time and another 100k

Feb 16, 2024 at 09:12 PM CST
+ 1
I just don’t understand what I’m doing wrong… so for the wife I wanted to stay local so I changed my DOT status to intrastate and it has been completely terrible!!!! I bought a nice strong semi and a 38ft end dump I’m fully insured and have everything I need to run loads (locally) of bulk materials or landscape materials or even demo materials.. but now I’m running out of money and the bills are piling up and I can’t get a single trucking company or people that have told me to send them my insurance info and w9 to call me for work…. If I would have stayed interstate there’s tons of loads but now I don’t have the money to even think of charging everything back….. I’m seriously out of options
Replied on Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 12:23 PM CST

So did the work exist before you spent another $100k? To make good money and be home nightly you will probably have to ditch the dump trailer and look into fuel hauling.

Replied on Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 12:23 PM CST
I am curious. Why did you change your authority to intrastate? Having interstate authority does not forbid you from staying in state. Is there an advantage of to having just intrastate?
Replied on Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 07:42 PM CST
OH AND ONE OTHER THING… I’m a dip &$@$ for thinking somone else could promise me all this work … I’ve known in life you always have to only rely on yourself
Replied on Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 07:42 PM CST
So I changed to intrastate because I was given false knowledge and a lot of promises from a work colleague that is doing very well with dump trucks. But at the time to get a nice dump truck even used was more than I spent on my tractor. So I figured having the tractor I have a lot more options of trailers to pull.. it’s honestly the whole intrastate/interstate thing that ended up costing me a lot of money with all the down time and I believe the compliance company that was doing the work for me has charged me way to much and with my 4 kids and wife to feed I’m about at my banks end.. If I could change my operation status back fast there are plenty of loads around me but as far as in az there’s nothing
Replied on Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 11:51 AM CST

Everyone I know that runs local dump trucks for residential customers buys and sells the product that they are hauling.

Replied on Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 11:52 AM CST
Quote: "OH AND ONE OTHER THING… I’m a dip &$@$ for thinking somone else could promise me all this work … I’ve known in life you always have to only rely on yourself"

Unfortunately it's like that here as well. The local companies will tell you whatever you wanna here on end dump to keep you around. They had work all winter long....... untill winter was here and we had to take care of ourselves. We leased a hopper out of Omaha Nebraska, and have been running it ever since.

Replied on Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 10:35 AM CST
+ 1
I could be wrong but as far as i know you can go into your own FMCSA page and make changes most compliance companies are charing you for things you can do on your own for free
Replied on Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 10:35 AM CST
Quote: "So I changed to intrastate because I was given false knowledge and a lot of promises from a work colleague that is doing very well with dump trucks. But at the time to get a nice dump truck even used was more than I spent on my tractor. So I figured having the tractor I have a lot more options of trailers to pull.. it’s honestly the whole intrastate/interstate thing that ended up costing me a lot of money with all the down time and I believe the compliance company that was doing the work for me has charged me way to much and with my 4 kids and wife to feed I’m about at my banks end.. If I could change my operation status back fast there are plenty of loads around me but as far as in az there’s nothing"

For the time being, can you lease onto another company who does have ICC authority?

Replied on Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 11:31 AM CST
+ 3 - 1
My opinion would be to sell the dump to have some capital to live off of then look at leasing on with someone who could give you some local work. They will probably take an extra % for you using there trailer but if you need the money to get by that's what you probably need to do. I run local work but have interstate MC insured out to the 500mi minimum even though I stay withing 200mi. There is no way I could make it work only running in state, its high competition and you greatly limit what you can do. Just my 2 cents.
Replied on Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 07:07 AM CST
+ 1

I think this is a common occurance. I had a company begging me to get a dump trailer suitable for road construction and they made it sound like we would be running 6 days a week. It was 5 days a week for about 6 weeks and then boom! Nothing. We caught on with a similar company in another county and basically the same movie, just shorter. Four weeks then nothing. Luckily, we have a seven truck operation and nine various trailers, so we can adapt and keep the truck and driver rolling.